ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: 15 Years Later...u

Monday, April 19, 2010

15 Years Later...

Today is the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. I don't want to do the whole "I will never forget where I was" - no one cares where I was. Watching the clips again, it's still very shocking. I was only a young adult, with no children - I was only just about to get into my relationship with David, so I didn't know the profound loss that many of these parents suffered. I still don't know it, thankfully, but I can imagine it and it breaks my heart.

But, I want to talk about an angle of this story that no one ever talks about.

The man who did this was not a monster. He was not crazy. He lacked empathy, he lacked many 'normal' facets of his psyche, which allowed him to be easily influenced. He was, pretty much, a 'regular guy.' Except that he was not really capable of love. He has said in his own words that he didn't feel like he loved his parents. But, I'm sure that they loved him very much.

What I want to talk about is his family. My heart hurts watching all of these clips because I wonder, did anyone comfort his parents? His sisters? Was anyone there for them? What they must feel...it's just unfathomable.

I saw some footage of people cheering upon the completion of his execution. Cheering and being happy that a person died. Again, I never have never understood that mindset, but all I think about when I see that are his parents and his loved ones. There were people who loved him and they shouldn't be criticized or hated for that.

I wonder how the family is doing. I think about the Columbine killers' parents from time to time as well and how vilified they were in the press, how hated they were for something that they did not do. I wonder if Timothy McVeigh's parents were treated the same way.

So today, on the anniversary of the loss of 168 lives, I will also remember the loss of the 169th life and not mourn his passing nor be sad he is dead, but I will feel sadness for his family and their loss because today marks the beginning of their hell, as well.

And I think people forget to remember them...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ei said...

What a thoughtful commentary. I admit I hadn't thought much of Tim McVeigh's family, but I thought it was horrible that people cheered at his execution. I think regularly of the Harris & Klebold families from Littleton. I wonder how they carry on. Much love to them all in the darkest of their days.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter