ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: The Times, They Are A'Changin'u

Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Times, They Are A'Changin'

Something weird's been going on at work these last few days.

Started with a vague phone call on Wed morning from female boss. "Do you know any servers who ate at Towson this week? Anyone talk about it?" Nope, I know nothing. I figure someone went up there and acted like an idiot and the manager called her.

Wed night, she's there all night. She's never there all night when another manager is working. She's been crying, it's quite obvious.

She asks me weird questions. When was Candace's last day? What were the manager's schedules before that? After that?

I flat out asked if I did something wrong and what was going on? "No, you didn't do anything, I just needed the info, no worries."

Yeah, sure, no worries.

I get a call on Thursday telling me there's a meeting for the new accounting software on Friday afternoon at 3pm and that other manager will be coming in early for it. Um, ok, why even tell me that? I open on Fridays, I'll be there at 3pm, but that's fine, whatever.

Friday and both bosses (male and female) are there all day. Secret whispering and meetings. I asked male boss to tell me WTF is going on - something is up, I know something is up, and would they please tell me? It's nothing, he says, something with the other business they are selling fell through and female boss is really upset. I walk up front at one point and there's a guy in a suit there. Ok, I figure it's about their other business they are selling.

3:00 hits, other manager comes in. Male boss hands me the phone and says "the phones are ringing way too much, why don't you answer them, we'll go over the stuff with her, and then we'll go over the stuff with you after while she answers the phones." Ok, I think, fine by me.

They go off into their meeting - other manager's 18 month old is there, messing around and then suddenly, he's in her arms and she's storming into the office, grabbing her stuff and leaving. Tears in her eyes. Something is going on.

Male boss comes into the office "give me the phone and go back in the 30's". Oh shit. I go back there. There is female boss, crying. There is scary guy in suit.

"Cathy, this is Tim, my lawyer."

"Ok, what is going on?" I'm seriously thinking at this point that I'm getting fired. They are just getting rid of everyone and starting fresh. Female boss says:

"You know I've been upset this week. First thing I want to say to you is thank you for your integtrity, honesty, and worth ethic. It is obvious that you care about this place. I want you to know that every single one of your shifts is clean and your numbers match up."

Um...ok? You're welcome? WTF?

Then she gets to the nitty gritty. Apparently, other manager has stolen tens of thousands of dollars in gift cards over the last year. So that's what she meant by my shifts being clean - no errors on those nights, it was obviously her.

Wow.

Just wow.

She's fired, obviously. They are pressing charges, obviously. Who the fuck does something like that? If you only knew how much these people did for her - and this is how she repays them? It's disgusting and I'm glad she's gone.

I'm the only manager left.

The only hellish thing I can think of is the week that female boss is out of town, so it's just male boss and I and he has no sitter. Can we say closing 5 nights in a row? Ugh. I'm sure we'll talk about it today when I go in.

Oh, and I'm totally going to get another raise.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! How nerve-racking--but how great that, once again, they know you're the best thing that ever happened to them! Sounds really stupid on her part. I wonder how her scam worked--did people buy the gift cards from her at a discount? Hard to imagine making a ton of money on that.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I hate it when people do things like that. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'd be mortified to even be suspected of something like that, let alone guilty. How could it have been worth it?

Glad they realize the gem they have in you.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Leah, she was doing two things. One, she was taking cash for actual gift cards, issuing the card, but then putting the money in her pocket and pretending she didn't sell any gift cards that day. Also, she was trading them for services - we found ads on craigslist and things where she was offering $250 gift cards for cleaning her house and stuff like that. She was also giving them out to friends - a $1,000 to her boyfriend's band. Crap like that.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. Staraightup, Damn.

xo
A

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter