ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: With the passage of time...u

Thursday, September 11, 2008

With the passage of time...

people forget and I think it sucks.

I haven't heard anything mentioned yet about today. It's been 7 years. In a way, it's hard to believe it's been that long and in another way, it seems like we've always lived in a "Post-9/11" world. I feel like people are forgetting. Yes, it's mentioned, but usually in the course of terrorist or political discussions. For some people, it's used for political gain (Yes, Guiliani, I'm talking to you).

My youngest son knows nothing of life before 9/11/01. He wasn't born until Dec that year. My older son doesn't remember anything prior to 9/11 or about that day and Cassie doesn't really care that much about it because she was too young to be seriously affected by it when it happened.

7 years.

There's not much to say, just profound sadness. Seeing Ground Zero last December was so moving. Made it all the more real to me.

We all remember where we were. I wrote about it in this blog in Sept 2004. Amazing how the details fade with time. I'd forgotten some of the specifics of what I'd done that morning.

7 years.

I'm sure the pain is still as fresh as it was then to the families of the victims. I can't wrap my head around that kind of pain. I wish them all the best. I hope they have found some happiness in their lives.

My heart hurts right now and my thoughts are a jumbled mess. Maybe I'll write more after I've gotten some sleep (it's 12:53am, so yes, it's technically the 11th).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, I agree with all you wrote. Most of what we talk about in terms of September 11th is part of the fear process and justifying our actions in this world. It makes me sad. And I despise Guliani for the fortune he has made as America's Mayor. As if any other man or woman in that role that day wouldn't have risen to the occasion.

I know when I think of September 11th I am reminded of what can happen when cultures/groups don't conquer the hatred between them. We can't cleanse the world of people who disagree with us. We can't build a security system capable of protecting us from any and all harm. It has to come from finding better ways to get along with everyone.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter