ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: Patriot Dayu

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Patriot Day

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm going to try not to swear as much as I'd like to right now.

FYI, my internet was out, so that's why I'm just getting to this. Stupid Comcast.

Zack came home from school last Thursday (Sept. 11) and wished me a "Happy Patriot Day." Huh? Patriot Day? We are seriously turning 9/11 into a HOLIDAY?!?!?!

I let it go until today when Alex said "did you know that Sept 11 is now Patriot Day?" Ugh.

September 11 was a horrible nightmare. Yes, every firefighter and police officer who died that day was a hero and a patriot, but by making this day about anything other than the massive loss of life and tragedy that it was, we are trivializing what happened.

Sit back for a moment and think about what Memorial Day really means to you. Nothing. Perhaps you MIGHT stop for a minute and think about our military families, but most like not - you're just pretty happy to have a day off from work. It's SUPPOSED to be a day to honor fallen military men and women. There's usually a nice ceremony in DC, but not much else is usually done.

Do we seriously want Sept 11th to turn into that? I'm disgusted and appalled. I'm also reminded of a great story I heard last week. There's this stupid woman who posts on the site that I don't go to anymore, who was all excited about their 9/11 memorial at her church because she got to do the stage design. Really? Wow, this day is not about YOU, you stupid, self-centered loser. 9/11 is not a day for set dressing and presentations. It's about loss. It's about horror. Most of all, it's about respect. I shouldn't be surprised that this person lives in California - as far removed from that day's events as you can possibly get. Living so close to the Pentagon, the fear here was palpable. I think that nothing can be done more to honor the dead that day than the ceremonies that occur at Ground Zero and the Pentagon. Those are respectful. Those don't involve set dressings and self centered people who think only of themselves.

Back to my original thoughts...should we have a Patriot Day? Sure, why not - but NOT on September 11th. Please, not on September 11th.

4 Comments:

Blogger veganbaby said...

No, 9/11 is a date in itself. If that makes any sense. Why can we respect 9/11 for what happened? The tragedy of all the lives lost. Let's not turn it to an agenda.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely ditto to veganbaby "let's not turn it into an agenda." Doing that is going to divide our country on a day we need to be together in mourning and reflection.

I've been hearing bits and pieces of Patriot Day stuff. I didn't realize some schools rolled it out. Is it official? Sigh.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That is disturbing. This is the first I have heard of this Patriot day stuff. How soon people forget. It was a day of true terror for myself en route to Boston on an airplane. September 11th needent be calles by any other name. It is forever imprinted into my being as just that. September 11th.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:claps: My children learned about 9/11 on 9/11. My youngest told me how she cried because they showed her a movie about it (she was turning 4 that year)

There was no celebration at her school, just remembering.

Thanks for taking a stand. More people should.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter