ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: Alex got hit by a caru

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Alex got hit by a car

He was walking home from school and crossed the street in front of our house. We've told him on numerous occasions to only cross at the cross-walk with the crossing guard, but he didn't. He ran out in front of a van and got hit. Thank god it was another parent from the school that I know and she's a very cautious driver, so she was going UNDER the speed limit.

I didn't hear anything, even though it happened outside of our house. Another parent came banging on the door and I rushed out (in my pajamas, how white trash). Peggy (the driver) was on the ground cradling Alex, whose face was covered in blood and he was screaming. There is NOTHING that can prepare you for seeing your child like that.

I scooped him up, ran him into the house and laid him on the couch. We got him cleaned up enough to see that his lip was gouged and that's where the blood was coming from. We live less than a mile from the hospital, I threw him in the van and took him in.

He's extremely lucky. His ankle is messed up (not broken) and he needed stitches in his lip. He will be very sore tomorrow, but he's honestly lucky to be alive. People fly down this road all the time and I can't bear to imagine what might have happened if one of them hit him.

Perhaps now he's learned his lesson, but what a horrible way to learn it. I'm still in shock. I didn't cry until Dave got to the hospital and even then, not much because I didn't want to upset Alex anymore than he already was.

I'm exhausted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter