ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: I'm Officially Oldu

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I'm Officially Old

Well, oldER.

Working with a bunch of people in their late teens, early 20s is very interesting. And I mean interesting in a weird, uncomfortable way. 90% of the conversation that goes on in the back revolves around "where/what are we drinking tonight? Who's house are we going to crash at tonight?". Oh and also, who has slept with whom. Now, I'm not a prude. I've had my wild days and 12 years ago, I could keep up with them no problem, hell I could probably have surpassed them.

However, these days, that type of behavior is so far removed from anything that I'm interested in. I have no doubt that sitting around drinking with them would be interesting, however I'm not sure that "fun" would be a word I'd use to describe it. Drinking doesn't interest me anymore. Staying up until all hours of the night isn't possible for me. I have responsibilities and a family. I can remember what it was like to be that age and not have many responsibilities.

I honestly prefer how my life is now. I don't feel lost or worried about what the future will bring, where I will be in 5 years. I know where I'll be and I know what I'll be doing and, best of all, I know I'll be happy doing it.

I cringe whenever I hear the youngest girl discussing her escapades. She's barely 18 (turned 18 on Christmas Day) and has already slept with at least 3 of the servers there, that I know of. She does pot, drinks, and is basically my worst nightmare, being the mother of a teenage daughter. She's sweet as can be, but I wonder, from a parent's perspective, if she's as happy as she lets on. Something must be wrong that she's sleeping around and getting trashed all the time. Or maybe there isn't - maybe it's just something she likes to do. My heart hurts for her parents. I'm sure they have no idea what she's doing or if they do, they don't know the extent of it. Of course, I shouldn't assume. Maybe they do know.

Anyway, back on topic - they might all think I'm a stick in the mud, or old or whatever, but I tell you this: I'm happier than all of them combined, I'm sure of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter