ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: Now What?u

Friday, November 05, 2004

Now What?

Where do we go from here? I'm tired of being so mad. I'm tired of being so offended by the things I'm seeing. I'm tired of hearing these outrageous insults. Mostly, I'm just tired.

Which reminds me, I hate Daylight Savings Time. It's stupid. Now Zack wakes up before 7am because it's light outside. Try reasoning with a nearly 3-year-old who just wants to go play with his daddy or watch TV. I can't get him to go back to sleep so now I am getting up at 6:30 every morning. I had just trained him to sleep until 8am and now we're back to square one.

Back to non-Zack-related material. I deactivated my account at one of my favorite places to post. I just can't take it. There are too many people walking around like they own the universe because this guy SQUEAKED by with a win. A win that mostly likely, and take me seriously here, don't write me off, was cheated into like the last election. The man who created the touch-tone voting machines said in 2003 that he intended to "deliver the Ohio electoral votes to President Bush." I still don't understand how they were put into use after such a blantantly partisan statement like that? Let's not forget that he did NOT win the popular vote last time. Over 50% of people 4 years ago didn't want him and this year 49% of the country didn't want him. THAT IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF AND GLOAT ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly just don't understand how our modern society is slipping back into Medieval Times when Christianity ruled government. It's inconceivable to me that this is happening.

I am not anti-religion. Yes, I have problems with a lot of organized religions. Because I feel that they teach hatred and intolerance. To me that is anything but Christian. However, I see it every day. It's not something I perceive or that I imagine - I have seen the evidence of it first hand. One of my closest friends in the world is very religious. And do you know what else? She's pro-gay marriage and pro-gay rights. She doesn't believe that people should be discriminated against because of their sexuality. She is a true Christian who believes that God loves all of us, no matter what. I respect her.

I have a serious problem with religion being the basis for our laws or involved in our government. There is no reason on God's green earth (excuse the religious reference) why the government should be regulating what we should or shouldn't be doing in our own homes (between consenting adults, I'm not talking about abuse). If you don't like the idea of gay people having sex, then don't participate in gay sex. It's pretty easy. But don't you DARE use your religious beliefs to change our constitution to prohibit two loving people from getting married because you are homophobic.

I do not care about the phrase "under God" being in the pledge. When I was a kid and said the pledge, I said "under God" and I didn't burst into flames. As an adult, I don't say "under God" when I say the pledge and I still don't burst into flames. Do I want "In God We Trust" removed from our money? No, I don't care. It doesn't affect me either way.

I do not, however, think that prayer in school is appropriate. I went to a private school and when we had to say prayers, I always felt so out of place and uncomfortable. If public schools were to have a moment of silence during the day for the children to choose what they wanted to do during that time, I would fully support that. Children could meditate, pray, or just rest, however they chose to see fit. When I think back on my school making me say Christian prayers when there were Jewish children in the class too seems so very disrespectful and wrong. It wasn't a Christian school, or even a religious school, but we said The Lord's Prayer every morning. Weird.

Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent now. I think it's ridiculous when I hear people say they voted for Bush because they didn't want their Bibles banned. If anything, religious people have more rights in this country than non-religious people have. Bibles aren't going to be banned ever - that's just another scare tactic for the Bush administration to use to get votes.

So yes, I'm still a tad upset.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ♥ you, hon. I'll miss you greatly.
~Lara

10:22 AM  
Blogger Angel Singer said...

I've been reading your blog for some time, and in my opinion this is your best post yet, hands-down. I agree with it all.

I also had to recently delete a message board I'd been posting on because of some extreme fundamentalists who were making the board a very unpleasant place to be. So I feel your pain.

Hang in there, and keep blogging!

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter