ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: It's The End of The World as we Know it...u

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

It's The End of The World as we Know it...

I love the 80's. I love everything about the 80's. I love the music. I love the movies. I love the stupid ass haircuts. I love it all.

I live for 80's radio stations and 80's videos. It makes my day when I turn on VH1 Classic and they have on "We Are The 80's", which is an hour of 80's videos. And why do I love that show? Because they don't play the same 10 songs over and over. They play songs I haven't heard in 20 years. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis!!!

I listen to the 80s station on Rhapsody all day at work. Or sometimes, I check out the new wave station because that's more obscure 80's stuff. I am so excited to get sattelite radio because I'm sure they will have some kick-ass 80's stations. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Here is what I will not listen to. I will not listen to ANY radio station's "80's at 8" program. Why? Because it's the same 10 songs played every $&%^ing time!!!! Here is a list of songs that I do not ever want to hear again for as long as I live:

"Come on Eileen"
"Rio"/"Hungry Like The Wolf"
"Tainted Love"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Mickey"
"In Your Eyes"
"99 Red Balloons"
"If You Leave"
"Don't You Forget About Me"
"Every Breath You Take"
"Jack & Diane"
"Let's go Crazy"
"You Might Think"

And on the top of the list. The one song that I wish I would never hear again, yet somehow I manage to hear it several times per week???

The title of this entry - It's The End of The World as we Know it (And I Feel Fine) by one of my favorite groups in the universe, R.E.M. But let me tell you something. This is not the quintessential song of the 1980's. Oh my GAWD. It's a good song, actually it's a great song, but it's not a great song when you hear it every week for 20 years. It's gotten so bad that even when I see them live, I wish they would skip that song. Sometimes they do, but sometimes they don't. Sometimes, they end with it. Ugh. What a downer.

Honestly, I'd rather listen to any of those other songs on my list daily than to hear that song again. That is how much I hate that song.

So, please, I beg of you. If you are a DJ, know a DJ, a radio station program director, or anyone in that type of position, tell them immediately that if they have an 80's hour, NOT TO PLAY THESE SAME SONGS TO DEATH. It's seriously making me insane.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angel Singer said...

I agree....I am also a big fan of the 80's, and of the VH1 80's specials. I would add to your list:

"The Safety Dance"
"Heart of Glass"
"Whip It"
"Open Arms"
"I Want Candy"
and
"Billie Jean"

12:51 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Haha!! That's funny because the two songs I almost always requested when I used to listen to the 80s station at my old job were: The Safety Dance and Come On Eileen!!! LMAO!! I love those songs! I also do Sultans of Swing. Anyway I do hear ya, though those aren't the same songs that our locals play over and over they are different ones. The song I absolutely hate and want to bash a radio when I hear it is: "Jack & Diane" or "Summer of 69" (is that it?) OMG I hate John Mellancamp!!!

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter