ue I'm More Than Just a Mom...I Think: Birthdaysu

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Birthdays

Birthdays are a daily subject around here lately. Mr. 2.5 is obsessed with them. He asks every day if it's his birthday and will get into crying fits when I tell him it's not. We've now taught him that his birthday is in 2 months and he likes to talk about that a lot, too.

"What do you want to do on your birthday, honey?"

"I want presents! I want a cake! I want to blow out the candles! Is it mine birfday ta-day?"

"No, sweetie, when is your birthday?"

"Two monfs!" He says with much enthusiasm.

So, I started to think - when is it that we lose this magical feeling about our birthday? When does it change from wanting to shout it from the rooftops for days before hand, to be sure that everyone knows to wish you a happy birthday on the correct day and make a big fuss, to avoiding the question when asked when your birthday is? My husband has actually forgotten it was his birthday before.

As adults, why don't we still wear party hats and giggle when people sing to us? I LOVE my birthday. I want a big fuss made. I mean, after all, if it weren't for that day, I wouldn't be here so why shouldn't everyone I know cheer like we just won the Super Bowl? Why do a lot of adults look downright embarrassed when you wish them a happy birthday?

Is it because, as adults, we cringe at the idea of getting another year older? I didn't much care until I hit 30. Now, each year brings a scarier number for my age. But, I still want all the bells and whistles. I want to wake up to my husband saying enthusiastically "Happy Birthday, honey" and giving me a big hug and kiss. I want my phone to ring off the hook with birthday greetings. I want threads dedicated to me on the bulletin boards that I visit. And yeah, I want presents, damn it!

Birthdays are inevitable. It's not like if you close your eyes and hide in bed all day, the birthday doesn't exist and you're not another year older. So why not embrace them? Why not act like a 5 year old again and get so excited that it's your special day that you don't even know what to do with yourself?

I think next year, I'm going to ask for a pony for my birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Hit Counter